A A A

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS Related Topics
Agile Al3000 vs Gibson Les Paul Standard
April 24, 2010
2:22 pm
tony93666
Forum Posts: 84

TTK and I have talked privately a few times about Agile guitars... check this out!

Agile AL-3000 – $379 new

Giibson Les Paul Standard – $ 2299 new

both stock guitars, no pedals, plugged straight into a Marshall head w/ Laney 4x12 cab:

is there a difference?  yeah sure, a little… is it worth nearly TWO THOUSAND more dollars?

NO FREAKIN' WAY.

For the money saved, you could buy that brand new Marshall(or whatever) halfstack!

April 24, 2010
4:10 pm
nght5tlkr
Forum Posts: 410

Agile makes a bunch of great guitars for different players for unbelievably low prices. I haven't bought one yet although I had a custom quoted for ~$800. Amazing price difference considering that had I tried another custom shop earlier and the price they quoted was well over $3600.

YouTube Channel
 2003 Fender Stratocaster ¦ 2006 Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe ¦ 2006 Ibanez SZ320EX ¦ 2007 Ibanez RG2EX1 ¦ 2007 Yamaha RBX5 A2 ¦ 2007 Yamaha RGX A2 ¦ 2008 Fender CD140SCE ¦ 2008 Fernandes Dragonfly X ¦ 2009 Dean Espana CSCR ¦ 2009 ESP LTD M-401 ¦ 2009 PRS SE Soapbar ¦ 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Special ¦ 2011 Squier Cyclone
November 27, 2010
2:58 pm
Rowencx4
Columbia, SC
Forum Posts: 3

there all import's right? i would assume but they do make rockin' guitars for great prices you cant beat it, i think you'd do much better with an Agile Les Paul than say an Epiphone for the money.

ROWEN>
January 2, 2011
7:32 pm
FastRedPonyCar
Forum Posts: 24

Agile do make great guitars but companies like Edwards and Tokai can build better than typical gibson USA quality for a fraction of the price and are far superior to Agiles.

I got my tokai LS150 shipped to my door from japan (if you're in the usa, you have to buy from a japan or UK dealer on ebay) to my door for $1500.  It is built on par and sounds on par with the 58/59 VOS gibsons.

My brother's roomate has an AL3000 that I did a full setup (intonation, string action adjustment and truss rod).  After that, I'd say it's on par with a really good Epiphone....maybe could hang with an Elitist.   Good epi's can play and sound just as good as an averagely setup/built Gibson USA LP standard.

I don't know what differences in wood/materials/paint/clearcoat or what Tokai use in their intsruments but my LS150 is in a totally different class of tone vs the AL3000.

I do like the AL though... for the money, it's a very solid investment but a few more bucks can get you an edwards or a lower end Tokai like one of the 80 or 90 series models that I'm pretty sure will easily best a very well built AL3000.

** Drew ** Amps - Splawn Nitro, Jet City JCA100H - Pico Valve and 22H, Mako MAK4 preamp Cabs – Splawn 4x12, Whitebox Engineering 2x12, Port City OS 2x12 and a few others that are forever doomed to storage since no one will buy them… Guitars - Tokai LS150, Ernie Ball Music Man Mystic JP6   Video clips of my stuff
January 2, 2011
9:56 pm
stymye
Music City
Forum Posts: 13

agile vs epiphone ..ok …….agile vs a Gibson…NO

does agile make a better guitar than a $2,200 Jackson?,… $2,200 ESP ?….. $2,200 Fender?

what makes  it's better than a $2,200 Gibson?

I have a 1985 Gibson Les Paul that I paid half of what it's worth today,,it is an unbelievabe guitar .

it sounds great,,plays great  and has been thru 20+ years of gigs without hardly showing signs of wear.

Vince Gill even played it once and thought it was sweet.

wonder what that Agile is worth a week from now ?

I have owned ESP's, Deans,Jacksons,Fenders,Gibsons.. and have gigged them all including opening slots for King's X, Marilyn Manson(pre-bigtime)  ..and  so on.. I know a little about solid constructed Guitars with good hardware and reliability.

TTK are you telling people privately….. an agile is a better guitar than a  Gibson Les Paul ? there are some duds out ther but…. really ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/stymye/Les%20Paul/85lpstd3-1.jpg

85 Les Paul Std,,,ESP M1-ntb,,,Esp Vintage Plus,,,Hamer standard ft,,,Hagstrom xl-5,,,Ibanez Iceman. Peavey 5150 (1st issue),,,Egnater Tweaker(head+cab),,,Epiphone VJ(head+cab) 
January 2, 2011
10:30 pm
nght5tlkr
Forum Posts: 410

Just so you know, Agile *does* have a custom shop if you really want to spend $2200 on a guitar...I'm sure you'll get a lot for that kind of money considering their value for dollar in their lower end guitars.

YouTube Channel
 2003 Fender Stratocaster ¦ 2006 Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe ¦ 2006 Ibanez SZ320EX ¦ 2007 Ibanez RG2EX1 ¦ 2007 Yamaha RBX5 A2 ¦ 2007 Yamaha RGX A2 ¦ 2008 Fender CD140SCE ¦ 2008 Fernandes Dragonfly X ¦ 2009 Dean Espana CSCR ¦ 2009 ESP LTD M-401 ¦ 2009 PRS SE Soapbar ¦ 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Special ¦ 2011 Squier Cyclone
January 2, 2011
10:31 pm
FastRedPonyCar

hahah.  I agree.. and the whole argument here is hilarious if it's solely based on a terribly recorded clip.  Camera mic fail.

** Drew ** Amps - Splawn Nitro, Jet City JCA100H - Pico Valve and 22H, Mako MAK4 preamp Cabs – Splawn 4x12, Whitebox Engineering 2x12, Port City OS 2x12 and a few others that are forever doomed to storage since no one will buy them… Guitars - Tokai LS150, Ernie Ball Music Man Mystic JP6   Video clips of my stuff
January 2, 2011
10:33 pm
The Tone King
The Tone Lounge
Forum Posts: 1070

stymye said:

agile vs epiphone ..ok …….agile vs a Gibson…NO

does agile make a better guitar than a $2,200 Jackson?,… $2,200 ESP ?….. $2,200 Fender?

what makes  it's better than a $2,200 Gibson?

TTK are you telling people privately….. an agile is a better guitar than a  Gibson Les Paul ? there are some duds out ther but…. really ?

Hey Stymye ... first - I must say that the pic you posted is a mighty impressive LP.  Beautiful!  Am I privately telling people that Agile is better than a Gibson LP?  I'll answer that one by saying ... I don't pull any punches about what's in my personal collection.  /wp/the-chopping-block/  If you notice - there isn't an Agile in there.  That's not to say I dont' think they have some cool originals ... example ... if I were ever to buy an Agile - the Septor / Inteceptor series looks nice : http://www.rondomusic.com/inte.....me.html.  Now - with all of that said ... I do have mixed feelings on this topic.  Where to start??

Okay - let's first start by saying that I think what Gibson is today is not what Gibson was yesterday.  I hear (from folks like Big Lou, who's on the forum) that there are lot of quality control issues, like knobs breaking off, improperly finished guitars, etc.  Like you said about your own Stymye - the LPs I have are works of art - best of the best, but I don't think everyone gets that same experience.  And, to be clear - I didn't pay 'today's' prices for those axes either.  I don't think I paid more than 1600 for either of the 2 that I have, which are both premium axes.  Simply put - $2200 is a boat load of dough.  If I were to lay out that kind of cash - I'd expect PERFECTION, and I'm iffy if you'd get that today.  So, IMO, if I wanted to LP, I'd be quicker to buy a used / vintage LP than a new one ... but in both cases, I think they're better than the Agile.  Does the warrant a @2200 price-tag?  I don't think it does.  Remember - there are lots of folks that have to get paid, and frankly speaking - they're targeting CEOs, not working musicians (same for PRS).  It's an unfortunate truth.  Here's another one for you ... I own a USA PRS CE (Classic Electric), that blows the doors off of some of the custom stuff they are making today), and when you play my CE compared to an SE - there's a huge difference.  Plus - something else that should be noted ... lots of the imported guitars come from the same factories (like World Music in Korea).  So, because it's the same builders, using the same materials, with the exception of different CNC parameters ... it's no wonder PRS SEs feel like some Schecters, and other like guitars that come out of the same factories.  Same workers, same materials, same wood selection, etc.

Here's a note about quality ... When I was going to shoot a video on Tuners (which I never got around to), one of the things I was going to mention was all of the 'things' that make a gutiar go out of tune ... like

- inexpensive hardware (like tuners that have poor tuning ratios)

- unaged / wood that exhibits moisture (versus aged woods that are ROCK solid, and flux very little)

- necks that aren't properly cut (we're seeing fewer & fewer quartersawn, and multi-ply),

- etc.

I am taking an educated guess (I may be wrong) that companies like Agile (althought they make impressive imitations & some clever originals), have less than preferred hardware, wood that hasn't been properly aged / dried, and necks that are simply cut without strength being a consideration, etc.  Why do I come to this conclusion?  Because I see NAME BRAND guitars cut the same corners, that are selling for more than Agile guitars.   Truth comes down to this.  Fit & finish are important to some people, and for those that can't / don't want to lay out 2000, may do very well w/ an Agile.  Afterall, if it motivates them to play and inspires them to make music - it's a slam dunk.  Compared to something that's of better quality (and don't misunderstand, I'm not saying Gibson USA), ... it could be brands like Carvin, Ernie Ball Music Man, even some of the BC Rich & Fender imports ... I think you'll find better quality control, better hardware, perhaps not aged wood, but properly cut wood (quartersawn & multi-ply for strength) that will make the overall playing experience better.

Hope that helps a bit :-)  Sorry for the long winded reply. 

Rock ON!

Guitars that ROCK hard

January 2, 2011
10:40 pm
The Tone King
The Tone Lounge
Forum Posts: 1070

On a more comical, less serious, but true note ...

I think it's funny that companies like Gibson are charging a small fortune in making a Gibson Slash guitar based off a ripped off guitar.  Who is the copycat?  The guitar that looked like a Gibson that made it's way to fame, or Gibsons copy of the copy?  Jees ... it's as bad as 25,000 price-tag of the frankenstrat!  It all goes to show you - you don't have to spend big bucks to make music.  It's all about what makes and inspires you to pick up a guitar and play it.  Here's a suggestion to Agile ... they should copy Slash's Gibson Copy of the copy.  After-all, gibson can't yell at them, b/c they'd be just as guilty ... and being that it's a copy of a copy - no one would feel bad that it's not a real Gibson!  (Feel like I just chased my own tail on that one ... but hopefully it made a bit of sense :-).

January 2, 2011
10:51 pm
TheModernGuitarist
Forum Posts: 62

The Tone King said:

ROCK hard

But on the relating topic.  I'm sure that the Agile's are pretty high-quality for their price range, but theres one thing that turns me away from them…
I just think their cutaway looks… well… VERY odd.  It may be a weird thing to turn me away from it, but… It does! =x
Thats why I wanna go PonyCar's route and get either a  Tokai (or any japenese import Les Paul for that matter, since they have the same specs of a USA Les Paul) or an ESP-LTD EC-401VF or EC-1000T.
The Tone King said:

After-all, gibson can't yell at them, b/c they'd be just as guilty ...

Gibson sued a child's toy company... So I don't think they know what the definition of "guilt" is. =P

2006 Schecter Damien FR –  2007 ESP EC-50 "Frankenclipse" with single EMG 85 – 2011 Squier Vintage Modified (Selling) – Ibanez TBX150H with Hughes and Kettner Triamp-styled backlight mod – 1990's Peavey "Randall" 412M –  Digitech Bad Monkey – T.C. Electronic Corona Chorus – Danelectro D-8 Delay – Ibanez WD7 Wah – Dunlop Crybaby converted to Expression pedal – Effects powered by daisy-chained 1SPOT power supply
January 2, 2011
11:08 pm
FastRedPonyCar

Yeah gibson isn't the company they used to be by any stretch.  Their QC has been in the toilet for who knows how long and their marketing department while we all love to bash them, are easily making Gibson retarded amounts of money.

That slash sig LP is a great example.  Guitars like that, the new Clapton les paul, etc are all going to most likely go up in value.  Guys will pay the over inflated price tags for these seemingly trivial differences because they'll let them sit and appreciate in value.

Speaking of the $30,000 "beano" Clapton sig les pauls, the aged and signed ones are already sold out, gibson knows what they are doing and it works out great for them, theres always people that will spend the money even if its too expensive, the guitar really isnt intended to be a exact beano copy, its more like a inspired by guitar and they went by what clapton likes in a les paul and by his memory of what the real beano was. 

since most of the R9/R0 vos are the same price as the non signed ones, i dont see a problem with them asking 6k for the vos version, most of their sig models hold their value or go up. Its gonna sound like any other R9 but because his name is on it and it comes with some swag they gotta ask more, the neck shape and color is different than the usual R9 also. 

The aged versions are very expensive but theres people who will buy them and wont care about spending the cash, gibson KNOWS it and they are in the business to make money and lots of it, a few people have already played the vos versions and said they were really nice.

people complain how gibson fails but they still keep selling guitars and thats all that counts, my opinion doesnt matter to them and in the end who really cares anyway.  They're in the business of making money first and making guitars 2nd.  The name sells their guitar, not the guitar itself.

Guys at several local stores have played my Tokai and gushed over the tone, quality, looks, playability, you name it... but when confronted with the million dollar question of whether they'd rather own it or any of the Gibsons on the wall that they easily admit fail to measure up to the Tokai, they still say they'd rather have the gibson ONLY because of the name. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/fastredponycar/forums/smilies/facepalm.gif

January 4, 2011
6:15 pm
stymye
Music City

thanks for the reply TTK , 

yeah I don't care for the signature/artists guitars … they are strictly for collectors to add to their signature collection

A serious  player will almost always buy a non signature version..who wants ace on their headstock ?

Slash is ok , I'm not crazy about him. I don't see what all the hoopla is over him.There are tons of guys out there that can play just vas well, and always have been.

he wants to be his Idol, Joe Perry(Who I totally respect).

If a person wants a "les Paul" for half the price or less, ESP/Edwards  or LTD is one great option

haven't tried a Tokai

85 Les Paul Std,,,ESP M1-ntb,,,Esp Vintage Plus,,,Hamer standard ft,,,Hagstrom xl-5,,,Ibanez Iceman. Peavey 5150 (1st issue),,,Egnater Tweaker(head+cab),,,Epiphone VJ(head+cab) 
January 4, 2011
8:08 pm
FastRedPonyCar

The ESP's sound absolutely nothing like even a cheap les paul.  There are too many differences in construction/material to sound like a LP.

I made the mistake of buying a carvin CS6 thinking I could get the les paul tone with better playability than our singer's old cheap les paul studio faded.   I got one part right.. it played circles around the gibson but the gibson's tone just tore the carvin up (even after swapping the gibson pickups into the carvin)

The edwards you mention though is a viable option as it's built more to the correct les paul specifications.   The good edwards les pauls are on par with the low end tokai's like the LS-80 and 90 series.  Most put those on par with a well built gibson les paul standard.   To have that quallity from japan for $1700 less than what gibson charges for the standard is an obscene deal.

What I find awesome about the japan les pauls is that they are holding their value and actually going up simply because they're hard to get over here.  If you do an ebay search for the 70's and 80's orville or tokai's, check the prices they're going for!  

January 4, 2011
9:10 pm
stymye
Music City

Yes ,Edwards and Navigator are made by ESP (Electric Sound Products).

Navigater is their high end, Edwards Is their Mid Range,...too close to the real thing to sell in the states unfortunatly

February 28, 2011
2:02 pm
Bruce
NY
Forum Posts: 1185

Michael Kelly Patriots are better than those agile guitars. Its preference, if you want to replace your agile guitars pots, pickups, everything else and put in a few hundred dollars more to get something that is decent than thats your choice, but it will still never be better than a gibson.

February 28, 2011
4:05 pm
Account_Deleted

I know this is going to make me sound a bit on the " special  "aka retarded side of this discussion, but I played a Cort guitar and have to say the tone and the overall feel of the guitar was just beautiful. How could a $250 guitar feel that nice. It felt as good as the $900 LTD and $900 Dean I played. Is anyone else familiar with this company. Please let me know…

http://www.cortguitars.com/_we.....440/Z42_FT

February 28, 2011
4:44 pm
Bruce
NY

yeah im familiar with them, theyre actually decent. my girlfriend has a cort bass when she used to be in a high school jazz band and she didnt pay a lot for it but id say it feels like a good mim fender jazz bass, but then again when you buy a fender product youre paying a lot for the name, so its no surprise you can get a no-name brand for cheaper with a good quality build. i love my michael kelly guitars, theyre solid and produce amazing tone for a cheap price

February 28, 2011
10:49 pm
Bruce
NY

http://www.rondomusic.com/al-3.....tbeer.html

hmm

http://www.rondomusic.com/prod.....t3215.html

you compared a low end agile to a middle/high end gibson. if you get another agile though, the 2nd link is a much better guitar than the model in the video

February 28, 2011
11:58 pm
Account_Deleted

I heard through the grape vine that Cort manufactures some of Fenders lower end stuff. Wouldn't surprise me...

March 1, 2011
12:30 am
Bruce
NY

they might, if something sounds good who cares who made it :)

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 307

Currently Online:
11 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Bruce: 1185

The Tone King: 1070

VOXER: 733

The Grin: 462

nght5tlkr: 410

Snake_bite75: 324

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 2

Members: 638

Moderators: 0

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 23

Topics: 1374

Newest Members: pelelau, iaudlinclau, slammer6500, jfoti22, bass323, iyhollinschau

Administrators: admin: 129

Forums